Share On Facebook ! Tweet This ! Share On Google Plus ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger !

Weekend Reading



North_waterIn this edition of Weekend Reading, gory goodness, the Golden Arches, and a YA novel that's just been longlisted for a National Book Award.

Jon Foro: A few weeks ago I wanted to catch up on a book that I hadn't had time to get to in March: Ian McGuire's novel set on a arctic whaler, The North Water. Now, I'm not often put off by rough subject matter, but I set it aside after the first chapter, not sure if I would pick it back up. Seriously, this is dark stuff. But it's also so good. A cat-and-mouse game between ship's surgeon Patrick Sumner, a laudanum addict hiding from his past, and depraved harpooner Henry Drax, whose name might be a sick pun on a certain Romanian impaler, McGuire's book is slick with blood and blubber and worse. But it's also so driven, realistic, and suspenseful that I've found myself compelled to continue. You'll need a thick skin for this one.

Erin Kodicek: I'm going to read Ray & Joan: The Man Who Made the McDonald's Fortune and the Woman Who Gave It All Away, which normally I wouldn't necessarily be interested in, but I remember my Pops telling me about a chance meeting he had with Joan Kroc many, many years ago, and her big, philanthropic heart really made an impression on him. Ray & Joan is the story of their marriage-- warts and all--about how they built a humble hamburger stand into one of the biggest brands in the world, and what Joan did with the spoils. 

Seira Wilson: I've got a busy weekend ahead but am going to make time to finish The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon. I woke up at 4a.m. this morning and read a couple more chapters and honestly, I'm looking forward to picking it up after my daughter goes to bed and reading until the end. The Sun is Also a Star is a young adult novel but really it's for anyone who loves a good, well-written story about fate, love, and the human experience.   

ABR-RR-SUBS-yellow[1]

Sign up for the Amazon Book Review to discover best books of the month picks, author interviews, reading recommendations, and more from the Amazon Books editors



Read More

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.