Friday, September 30, 2016

Weekend Reading



CarnivalIn this edition of Weekend Reading, we go to the circus, on a cross-country road trip, and into space...

Erin Kodicek: I'm going to read Orphans of the Carnival by Carol Birch, about Julia, a circus phenom who gains international acclaim due to her supposed freakishness (she is billed as half woman, half brute!). Things are lonely at the top, however, so she's thrilled when a dashing mystery man comes into her life and sparks fly. Doubt soon overshadows the budding romance, however: Are his feelings true, or does he simply want to cash in on her success? I am keeping with the circus theme, after finishing Beth Macy's wonderful, Truevine (nonfiction, and dramatically different, but fantastic).

Seira Wilson: How can it possibly be the start of October this weekend? I've still got a couple of October books I want to finish, including The Wangs vs. The World by Jade Chang (so funny and wonderful thus far) and T.C. Boyle's The Terranauts. I haven't read T.C. Boyle in a while. I'll confess that when I reached the end of Tortilla Curtain, I threw it across the room, such was my frustration at the all-too-realistic ending. In hindsight I really respect Boyle's decision to not make everything turn out okay, when the real world paints a different picture. The Terranauts is about a group of eight scientists who undergo the experiment of living in a three-acre glassed-in environment and what happens under the pressure of the environment, each other, and the scrutinizing public.

Adrian Liang: I'm going "To infinity and beyond!" this weekend. I've been staring at a copy The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid for a few weeks now, waiting for just the right time to pick it up and give it my full attention—and that time is now. The Diabolic is about an AI who is the ultimate bodyguard for a galactic senator's daughter and who has to figure out how far her loyalty goes when rebellion is whispered. Also in the galactic vein is Beyond Earth: Our Path to a New Home in the Planets by Charles Wohlforth and Amanda R. Hendrix—obviously nonfiction and hopefully fascinating.

ABR-RR-SUBS-yellow[1]

Sign up for the Amazon Book Review to discover best books of the month picks, author interviews, reading recommendations, and more from the Amazon Books editors



Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment