Friday, August 19, 2016

Weekend Reading



WwIn this edition of Weekend Reading, family (the kind you create, not the kind you're born with), a time-traveling librarian, and a YA novel for fans of Girl, Interrupted.

Erin Kodicek: I'm excited to check out the latest novel by Nell Zink, Nicotine. Nicotine is actually the name of a property the protagonist of the story has inherited from her hippie father. Now occupied by squatters united in their love of cigarettes (obviously), said protagonist gets swept up in their idealism and welcoming communal web. Sound a bit crazy? If you've read Zink's similarly satirical (and very wonderful) Mislaid, then you know she's crazy like a fox, slyly slipping in clever cultural commentary that is both thought provoking, and very entertaining.

Adrian Liang: This weekend I'm finishing up Christina Dodd's new romantic suspense novel, Because I Am Watching. I stayed up late last night (actually, very late) because I was silly enough to start it around 8 p.m., and it's gripping. I also have Genevieve Cogman's second book, The Masked City, at the top of my TBD pile. I enjoyed her fantasy novel The Invisible Library tremendously, and I can't wait to see what time-traveling Librarian/spy Irene and her apprentice-with-secrets, Kai, get up to in Victorianesque London.

Seira Wilson: I'm whittling down my pile of YA and middle grade books, and coming off the high of Richard Peck's The Best Man, looking for the next great story.  I'm hoping it comes from Kathleen Glasgow's Girl in Pieces, a YA novel about a teenage girl who's suffered losses that no one person should have to bear, and her search for a way out of the dark.

ABR-RR-SUBS-yellow[1]

Sign up for the Amazon Book Review to discover best books of the month picks, author interviews, reading recommendations, and more from the Amazon Books editors



Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment