Friday, July 22, 2016

Weekend Reading



Weekend ReadingIn this edition of Weekend Reading, witches, fractured families, and gangstas, oh my!

Adrian Liang: This weekend I'm reading Liane Moriarty's Truly Madly Guilty. It's a favorite in the office, and I've never read her before. I also plan to start Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal, an alternate history in which the Spirit Corps (aka, mediums) gather information from troops when they die in battle in World War I.

Erin Kodicek: I'm going to dig into the latest from Ann Patchett, Commonwealth. In it, a kiss from a surprise guest at a christening has far reaching, and profound effects on two families. And sticking with the theme of family drama, I'm also going to begin Jonathan Safran Foer's, Here I Am. This is the first novel in over a decade from the beloved author of Everything Is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and it promises to be just as wry, and heartrending.

Seira Wilson: This weekend I'm reading something a little creepy (in a good way), How to Hang a Witch. The author, Adriana Mather, channels her family history in a young adult novel about modern day Salem, Massachusetts and a curse that effects anyone with a connection to the witch trials. I'm also going to finish When We Was Fierce, another YA, this one is the free-verse narrative of the street corner and a group of boys caught between their dreams of something better and the reality of their lives. I really like this one so far and looking forward to getting back to it.

Jon Foro: I'll be packing a couple of books home this weekend as a hedge against the unpredictability of the local weather and how it might affect my mood. If it's sunny, I'll take a look at Original Gangstas, Ben Westhoff's five-years-in-the-making history of L.A. rap in the 1980s and 90s, including the bi-coastal rivalries, outsize personalities, and social upheaval at the dawn of a new era in music. If it rains (as it's raining right now), I will escape into the fourth dimension with James Gleick's Time Travel: A History, an exploration of temporal shifting at the intersection of physics, philosophy, and popular culture from H.G. Wells to Jorge Luis Borges.

Chris Schluep: I'm going to be read T.C. Boyle's The Terranauts. I was a  big fan of The Harder They Come, and I think he's a really smart, entertaining writer with a lot to say about the world.

ABR-RR-SUBS-yellow[1]

Sign up for the Amazon Book Review to discover best books of the month picks, author interviews, reading recommendations, and more from the Amazon Books editors



Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment