Share On Facebook ! Tweet This ! Share On Google Plus ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger !

Weekend Reading



Weekend readingIn this edition of Weekend Reading, the stories behind some of your favorite songs, a ragtag band of brothers rescue treasured horses, and other heroics of a fantastical kind...

Jon Foro: I don't expect to have much time for reading this weekend. No, I won't be walking around with my head up my phone looking for cartoons superimposed on the streets and other real-world locales. Instead, the plan is to walk to the top of a 12,000-foot volcano. I'm hoping that goes well, but if it happens that I have some free-time as I'm being lowered down the mountain in an orange sled, or later in traction, Anatomy of a Song (available November 1) looks interesting. Marc Myers, a Wall Street Journal writer and author of Why Jazz Happened, spans five decades of iconic rock, R&B, and pop hits through interviews with their most innovative creators--the likes of Keith Richards, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder, and Debbie Harry--revealing the inspiration and process behind 45 transformative songs. Its short chapters seem ideal for dipping in and out of between pain-killer fugues.

Erin Kodicek: I'm finishing The Perfect Horse by Elizabeth Letts, the story of a harrowing mission, approved by General Patton, to rescue prized horses stolen by the Nazis during WWII. This propulsive history reads like fiction, and packs an emotional punch. It also answers the question: Why, in the midst of so much human suffering, was this operation such an important one? It's a message that is as relevant today as it was then.

Seira Wilson: It looks like sunny skies this weekend (finally!) and I've got a lot of middle grade books calling my name.  I'm going to start with Jennifer Holm's new one, Full of Beans, which returns to the Key West of Turtle in Paradise.  I'm also looking forward to Kate Milford's The Left-Handed Fate, a fantasy/mystery filled with adventure and heroics. Milford's The Greenglass House was one of my favorites of 2014 so I've got high hopes for this one.

Adrian Liang: I'm at the Romance Writers of America conference in San Diego this weekend, and in between talking to authors, I'm reading Susan Elizabeth Phillips' hilarious All the Stars I See Tonight, the newest book in her Chicago Stars series.

Chris Schluep: I'm finally going to do it. I'm going to read Mischling, which comes out in September. Anthony Doerr calls Mischling "One of the most harrowing, powerful, and imaginative books of the year." Here's some of the copy on the book:

"It's 1944 when the twin sisters arrive at Auschwitz with their mother and grandfather. In their benighted new world, Pearl and Stasha Zagorski take refuge in their identical natures, comforting themselves with the private language and shared games of their childhood. As part of the experimental population of twins known as Mengele's Zoo, the girls experience privileges and horrors unknown to others, and they find themselves changed, stripped of the personalities they once shared, their identities altered by the burdens of guilt and pain."

And yet I'm told that this is a hopeful book. Certainly sounds harrowing and powerful.

ABR-RR-SUBS-yellow[1]

Sign up for the Amazon Book Review to discover best books of the month picks, author interviews, reading recommendations, and more from the Amazon Books editors



Read More

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.