Sunday, July 31, 2016

So, How Is It? "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"



HP_CursedChild200It's after midnight and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is finally out. And we after months of waiting and speculation we have an answer to the question everyone's been asking: does it live up to the hype. Is it good?

Obviously it's subjective, but to me? It's fantastic.  At first, this being a script, the reading was a little awkward (my experience reading scripts extends only to college Shakespeare) but just like watching a great movie with subtitles, once you get in the rhythm of it you stop noticing anything but the story that's unfolding before your eyes. 

Ah yes, the story.  Harry Potter and the Cursed Child may have been written with two other people (Jack Thorne and JohnTiffany) but to me it felt like vintage J.K. Rowling.  I won't give any spoilers here because everyone deserves to enjoy a first look at every magical scene and act themselves, but In broad strokes: there are parallels between the parents and their offspring, but also some very important differences.  This new generation of Hogwarts students will find unlikely allies and unsuspected foes.  And yes,  we do get to spend some time revisiting the old friends and powerful words of wisdom that made us love Harry, Ron, and Hermione through seven books and 4,191 pages.

A little more about reading a script in book form--personally, I loved seeing the stage directions.  It makes me even more insanely jealous of everyone who gets to see the play because when I read the details of what the audience will experience I could picture it in my head.  And it was amazing.  I can only cross my fingers that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will make it to Seattle at some point so I can see it for real.  In recent weeks I've said that I was curious to see how this story fit with the books and now I know: absolutely beautifully.


Shop this article on Amazon.com

 


Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment