Friday, June 17, 2016

Weekend Reading



JerusalemIn this edition of Weekend Reading, one of the biggest books of fall, one of the most talked about books of fall, and other books we're just hoping to fall for.

Chris Schluep: I am taking home Alan Moore's immense novel Jerusalem. It doesn't come out until September, but I figured I'd get a head start since the advanced reading copy is 1,279 pages long. Here's a picture of it:

Sara Nelson: My goal this weekend was at least to start Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad, which has been touted as one of the most important books of the fall. "Important" doesn't always mean you can't stop reading, of course – but in this case, I think it does. I gobbled up the first half this morning, and I'm doing that thing where I'm keeping the book open on my desk so that I can sneak peeks at it during conference calls. (Don't tell!) With a nod to Gulliver's Travels, and in rich, sophisticated but not showoffy language, Whitehead tells the pre-civil war story of a young girl who escapes slavery by way of an actual underground railroad. Everyone will be talking about this book come fall. And most of the talkers will actually be reading it. Bet on it.

Seira Wilson: It's going to be a YA weekend for me starting with Never Missing, Never Found--a twisty thriller about an abducted girl who escaped her captors and is now living a normal teenage life, until the past comes rushing back.  It's supposed to have a great We Were Liars kind of surprise ending, fingers crossed it does.

Erin Kodicek: Since I will be confined to my apartment for much of the weekend binge watching season four of Orange Is the New Black, it seems only fitting to dip into Amor Towles's A Gentleman In Moscow between episodes--a novel about an aristocrat forced by a Bolshevik tribunal to spend the remainder of his life...in a swanky hotel. Said hotel happens to be just across the street from the Kremlin, giving this unusual prisoner a front row seat to historic happenings during a turbulent time in Russia's history. Can't wait to see if room service is available...

Jon Foro: So maybe I'm a bit of a one-trick pony lately with the music books, but I can't pass on a book titled The Humorless Ladies of Border Patrol, wherein Franz Nicolay (of the Hold Steady) chronicles his five-year Paul Theroux-meets-Lester Bangs journey into the dark, far-flung corners of the post-Communist Eurasian punk scene, including forays into Poland, Mongolia, and war-torn Ukraine.

ABR-RR-SUBS-yellow[1]

Sign up for the Amazon Book Review to discover best books of the month picks, author interviews, reading recommendations, and more from the Amazon Books editors



Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment