Share On Facebook ! Tweet This ! Share On Google Plus ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger !

Weekend Reading



Weekend ReadingIn this edition of Weekend Reading, it's a hard-knock life in Jamaica, we ride the rails with hoboes, and a dude writes like a lady.

Erin Kodicek: I'm going to read Here Comes the Sun, a promising debut novel by Nicole Dennis-Benn that a colleague LOVED (yes, she used capital letters, and she's not one to use them gratuitously). Following a group of women trying to forge autonomous lives, it paints a very different picture of Jamaica than the paradise many of us envision.

Jon Foro: Two books: one new, one old, both on similar themes. The new one: Inspired by an Appalachian Trail thru-hike (yes, online grammar cops, that's how they spell it), Robert Moor's On Trails examines the origins, uses, and life-cycles of paths of all types, from ant trails to lost Cherokee trails to freeways to the internet. The old one: Rolling Nowhere: Riding the Rails with America's Hoboes by Ted Conover (who blurbed On Trails, which I just noticed after deciding to read this: clearly meant to be), a book perfectly described by its title.

Sara Nelson: Lucky me! I get a headstart on my weekend because I'm spending Friday on a plane! And so far I'm loving The Inseparables, a novel about three generations of women...The matriarch just happens to have written a racy book in the 70s. Very Erica Jongish and a great way to frame the conversation about slut-shaming and other technology-based humiliations that are today's news. I love Nadler. (His collection The Book of Life is one of my all time favorites). He writes like a girl--and I mean that (and I bet he takes that in the best possible way).  

Seira Wilson: It's supposed to be eighty degrees here this weekend so I'm hoping to park the hammock under some shade and read a couple very different books. One is Tong Wars: The Untold Story of Vice, Money, and Murder in New York's Chinatown by Scott D. Seligman.I love historical true crime and am fascinated by an account of New York's Chinatown in 1925. The other book I'd like to at least start (it's a long one) is This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab. It's a young adult novel, the first of two, and sounds very much in the vein of Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone which is one of my favorites...



Read More

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.