Monday, June 6, 2016

Recipe Road Test: Watermelon Avocado Salad from "Raw.Vegan.Not Gross."



RawVeganNotGross200Raw. Vegan. Not Gross. is one of my favorite new cookbooks* and I'm not vegan or eating raw. I just really like author Laura Miller's fresh, clean recipes that taste as good as they look and don't take all day to make. I also love the book title--which is also the title of her incredibly popular YouTube show--and that same sense of humor and familiarity runs throughout, in recipe names like "Eat Your Feelings Popcorn" and in her personal anecdotes. 

WatermelonAvocadoSalad_croppedI made Miller's Watermelon Avocado Salad for a dinner party over the weekend and it was fast, looked gorgeous, and tasted soooo good.  Everyone raved about it and I think it's kind of the perfect summer dish, especially while watermelon, avocado and cucumbers are plentiful.  The picture to the left is my homemade version and below you'll find the recipe and photo from the cookbook. 

*Raw. Vegan. Not Gross. was an editors' pick for the best cookbooks of May

 


 

WATERMELON AVOCADO SALAD
mostly raw • 8 servings

WHEN IT COMES TO FEASTING on watermelon, I can eat anyone under the table. One summer, I was bringing a giant Tupperware of cut watermelon to my office job every day to eat at my desk. I got made fun of a lot for that one—"Watch out, here comes the crazy watermelon lady!" But I didn't care. It's light, hydrating, and it makes me feel like I'm about to jump into a cold mountain lake, even if I'm sitting in an office in the middle of San Francisco.

Watermelon_Avocado_Salad_BookPhoto
Active time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
6 cups diced watermelon (about 1 large melon)
2 cucumbers, diced
3 avocados, diced
1 ⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 ⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves

 


For the dressing:
1 ⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon tamari
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon sesame seeds


1. Put the watermelon, cucumbers, avocados, basil, and mint in a large salad bowl

2. Make the dressing: Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.

3. Pour the dressing over the salad, then toss. Serve immediately. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

(Recipe and photo from RAW.VEGAN.NOT GROSS. Copyright © 2016 by Laura Miller. Photography © 2016 by David Loftus. All rights reserved.)

 

Looking for more like this?

 


Shop this article on Amazon.com



Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment