Share On Facebook ! Tweet This ! Share On Google Plus ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger !

Weekend Reading



Not Pretty EnoughIn this edition of Weekend Reading, the untold story of a storied magazine editor, books about struggle and triumph, and Alan Cumming makes us feel like we should be doing more with our lives (or maybe that's just me).

Sara Nelson: It's supposed to rain this weekend in New York. Normally, that would depress me, but this weekend it means I can plow through Not Pretty Enough, Gerri Hirshey's biography of legendary Cosmopolitan magazine editor, Helen Gurley Brown. I'd met Brown a few times in my magazine travels, but can't say I knew her in any way other than by reputation. Veteran journalist Gerri Hirshey tracks her history down, from her Arkansas roots to her glamorous New York marriage; I've only read a few pages, but so far Hirshey has evoked James Brown and Bob Dylan in explication of the self proclaimed "mouseburger." Fantastic!

Penny Mann: I signed up for the Seattle Rock 'n' Roll half marathon a solid six months ago, yesterday I realized it is now less than a month away and well… time to start doing the last thing you should before a big race: cram. For motivation, and in line with things-I-should-have-done-months-ago, I'm planning on reading endurance sports journalist, Matt Fitzgerald's, How Bad Do You Want It? Fitzgerald has written multiple books on racing, training, and nutrition, all of which have been some of my favorites for running education… let's hope this one, that is said to help master the psychology of mind over muscle, also helps me master my legs over Seattle hills. 

Alongside my internal debate of how bad I actually want it, I will be reading Love Wins by Debbie Cenziper and Jim Obergefell - the story of the 'lovers and lawyers who fought the landmark case for marriage equality.' I really can't wait to get into this, I have heard Obergefell speak twice now and both times was captivated by his presence and words - and let's face it, it's nice to remember that as many half marathons that you don't win - love always does.

Erin Kodicek: Alan Cumming. You know, that guy from the Good Wife. He's also a film star, a Tony winner, and yes--the dude has writing chops, too! His upcoming nonfiction offering, You Gotta Get Big Dreams: And Other Stories, promises to be dishy, and includes snapshots that the author himself has taken (cause, you know, he's a talented photographer too, and probably a skilled underwater basket weaver). Chronicling his misadventures at Hollywood parties, and other awkward encounters with names we're all familiar with, I am preparing myself for a good chortle, and I know he's not going to let me down.



Read More

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.