Friday, April 29, 2016

Weekend Reading



Rich and Pretty-Amazon Book ReviewIn this edition of Weekend Reading, a daughter uncovers shocking truths about her father, a Hemingway classic is deconstructed, and we learn that the country most fanatical about running is...(I won't ruin the surprise).

Sara Nelson: I'm looking forward to an interesting mix this weekend. Rich and Pretty is seeming like a smart novel about two bffs, one who is really rich and the other...well you get it. The other book near the top of my pile is Susan Faludi's, In the Darkroom. Faludi, of course, is the prizewinning journalist author of Backlash, one of the first books to look closely at women and media. This book is a more personal investigation into her father's story.

Erin Kodicek: I am going to dip into Everybody Behaves Badly by Leslie M.M. Blume, the story behind Ernest Hemingway's, The Sun Also Rises. This pivotal novel recounted the debaucherous time Hemingway and several rowdy and randy compatriots had when they went to see the running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain in 1925. But more importantly, 'Sun' captured the essence of the Lost Generation. Blume brings this fascinating and turbulent time to life, and examines how Hemingway created his cult of personality.

Penny Mann: Even as a runner (and I use that word loosely) myself, I have never put much thought into which country is most obsessed with running.  And, I was still surprised to read that in Adharanand Finn's new book, The Way of the Runner, he poses the answer to this question and it's...Japan! The award-winning author of Running with the Kenyans spent six months immersed in Japan's running culture to experience and understand how the nation has become so running-obsessed. From national events to the marathon monks, I can't wait to read all about it this weekend.

If there is time I may change pace a bit and start in on Jessica Valenti's Sex Object. Valenti is known for her voice on women's issues and I have been a fan of both her brain and her writing for years. While I am eager to get into the new memoir, I also want to give it the time I can already tell it deserves.

Seira Wilson: This weekend I guess I'm planning to scare myself a little with two psychological thrillers--I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid, which looks like a fast read and plays with identity, fear, and free will. Someone else in the office read it in one night and told me we have to talk as soon as I read it, which is exactly what I want to do when something is really, really, good. The other is Security by Gina Wohlsdorf--this one is a thriller with a killer. One who's picking off staff members one-by-one in the 24 hours before the opening of a new swanky resort. I may be sleeping with the lights on next week.

Adrian Liang: Two fascinating books are sure to keep me up late this weekend (that, plus watching Game of Thrones). Chuck Klosterman's But What If We're Wrong?: Thinking About the Present As If It Were the Past is at the top of my list—I'm interested in the long view he takes about what's happening today. I'm very much looking forward to being creeped out by This Is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behavior and Shape Society, by Kathleen McAuliffe, and learning new parasite anecdotes to share at dinner parties.



Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment