Friday, April 15, 2016

Weekend Reading



Heat and Light-Amazon Book ReviewIn this edition of Weekend Reading, a novel by a writer so skilled that she makes the subject of fracking interesting, the highly anticipated finale to a bestselling supernatural suspense series, and an author obsesses over the Rolling Stones.

Sara Nelson: I know I'm late to the party, but the two May books I'm reading this weekend are: The Honeymoon by novelist and former NY Times reporter Dinitia Smith.  A brainy historical novel about George Eliot, the "most famous writer of her day," who recovered from the death of her beloved lifelong companion by marrying a man 20 years her junior. And Heat and Light, by Jennifer Haigh, whose Faith (and Baker Towers) are two of my very favorite novels. This one is at least nominally about the issue of fracking, I understand – but I love Haigh's work so much even that doesn't put me off. She's THAT GOOD a writer. 

Adrian Liang: Hopefully the weather is April-showers-like this weekend, so I can curl up with a cat or two as well as these books that I've been eagerly looking forward to reading: The Fireman by Joe Hill, which promises to be about "a worldwide pandemic of spontaneous combustion"—yow! I'm going to start Justin Cronin's The City of Mirrors, the third and final book in his Passage series. And I've heard a lot of great buzz about YA fantasy novel The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Shokshi, about a princess who unexpectedly becomes a queen despite a prophecy that she is cursed.

Penny Mann: Somewhere along the way I missed author Jennifer Haigh. I started her new novel Heat and Light earlier this week and can't wait to get back to it over the weekend. There is something incredibly poignant and powerful about this book already, it has completely caught me off-guard. Based on how much I am loving this book, I have already gotten a few of Haigh's older titles to start in on after I finish...I am thinking The Condition will be next!

Jon Foro: Rich Cohen wrote one of the best sports books ever with Monsters: The 1985 Chicago Bears and the Wild Heart of Football. His new one, The Sun & The Moon & The Rolling Stones--moved up from June to May, to the dismay of my TBR pile--leans heavily on his own obsession with the band (which should work well with my own) and the time he spent with The Glimmer Twins et al on tour in the '90s. I might just start it right now.

Erin Kodicek: My Mom went to play Bunco with her friends the other evening. Evidently she lost so badly that they reimbursed her the price of admission (Five bucks. I told her not to spend it all in one place). So, I'm going to read The Bridge Ladies by Betsy Lerner, because clearly my Mom needs a new game and maybe this will be fun research fodder, and it's supposed to be great mother/daughter yarn. I'm also gonna get a gander at the new Jennifer Haigh, cause...after hearing what Sara and Penny had to say, aren't you curious, too?



Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment