Share On Facebook ! Tweet This ! Share On Google Plus ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger !

Weekend Reading



In this edition of Weekend Reading, a new take on a Sliding Doors-type Weekend Reading-Amazon Book Reviewtheme, a thriller from the creator of the TV show, Fargo, a nod to National Poetry Month, and 250 pages of organ-melting viruses. Something for everyone!

Sara Nelson: Oh, I've got a towering stack in front of me!  I hope to make some kind of dent this weekend with:  Everyone Brave is Forgiven, the latest novel from Chris Cleave. I loved Cleave's Little Bee, was meh on his Gold, but this one is about everybody's favorite topic, WWII. I have high hopes. 

And then I'll dig into The Versions of Us, about another universally favorite topic: what would have happened if you'd taken the road not taken – i.e. married the other guy, lived in a different place. The premise is promising, and hard to pull off. Like Kate Atkinson's Life After Life but more relationship-y, I think. We'll see.

Seira Wilson: It looks like it may be a sunny weekend ahead so I'm hoping to bust out the hammock and read Noah Hawley's book, Before the Fall, a complex thriller set around a plane crash that takes the lives of nine influential people, and sparing only a four year-old-boy and Scott Burroughs, the only average Joe on the flight.  I've been eyeing it on my shelf for a couple of months now so can't wait to get started.

Penny Mann: It's National Poetry Month--which means I am putting down the prose this weekend and diving into the long list of neglected poetry that has accumulated on my bookshelf. First on the list is Shipbreaking by Robin Beth Schaer, it's her debut and everything I have heard has been impressive. I may also get into the Kevin Young collection Blue Laws and I will most definitely be re-reading some Mary Oliver, because it is national poetry month and it is Mary Oliver!

Erin Kodicek: I'll be checking out the latest from Don DeLillo, author of the much lauded and quintessentially postmodern novel, White Noise. A colleague is also reading Zero K and when I asked him how it was, he replied, "It's great! It's Don DeLillo!" When I then asked what it was about he said, "I have no idea!" It's true, DeLillo is never a breezy read, but always worth the effort.

Jon Foro: Alongside my continued assault on Annie Proulx's 700+ pages of Barkskins, I'll give myself a couple of shorter options: Sebastian Junger's (The Perfect Storm) Tribe, a 140-page examination on the pull of community, especially for those returning from war; and The Next Pandemic, 250 pages of organ-melting viruses, monkeypoxes, and super flus. See you on the other side

 



Read More

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.