Friday, March 11, 2016

Weekend Reading



In this edition of weekend reading, super women save the world, one man makes an illegal trek for a good cause, and we take "a The Regional Office Is Under Attack!stunningly fresh look at plants."

Adrian Liang: I started The Regional Office Is Under Attack! by Manuel Gonzales earlier this week, and so far it's has me hooked as it gleefully throws about action, absurdity, and young women with enhanced abilities (and one mechanical arm). Every page is a surprise, so I can't wait to see how it ends.

Penny Mann: I have been craving outdoor adventure, but with another rainy weekend ahead it looks like I will have to feed that yearning vicariously through Trespassing Across America by Ken Ilgunas. This book, with the subtitle, One Man's Epic, Never-Done-Before (and Sort of Illegal) Hike Across the Heartland, is Ilgunas' telling of his experience hiking along the Keystone XL pipeline in hopes of bringing awareness to climate change, the beauty of the natural world, and simply the power we hold within ourselves. 

Erin Kodicek: I'm caving. A few people on the team have been talking about how wonderful Hope Jahren's Lab Girl is, but with a description that included: "a stunningly fresh look at plants," I just wasn't convinced (not that there is anything wrong with...plants). Evidently, though, it is big-hearted, wise, and humorous...I have a feeling my affection for it will quickly grow.

Seira Wilson: I'm going to finish Consequence, a memoir by Eric Fair who was an interrogator in Iraq.  So far, I'm completely drawn in and it doesn't look like it's going to slow down anytime soon. Then for something completely different I'm going to finish Kate DiCamillo's fantastic new middle grade novel, Raymie Nightingale.  I'm in love with this book–might not be able to wait for the weekend and have to hide in a conference room this afternoon...

Jon Foro: I've been reading too many music books lately (Kill 'Em and Leave, Under a Big Black Sun, Old Records Never Die, Trouble Boys), so I think I'll read another one this weekend: Your Favorite Band Is Killing Me, Steven Hyden's investigation into 19 musical rivalries. While Hyden won't definitively cast judgement in the eternal Beatles vs. Stones debate (Stones 1968-1972, obviously), he breaks down the argument into an array criticism, humor, and simple-yet-subjective mathematics that will help readers to resolve the conflict within themselves.

Chris Schluep: I'll be reading two books. The first is Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld. It's a modern day retelling of Pride and Prejudice. The second one is by Booker Prize winner Graham Swift and is titled Mothering Sunday. I don't know much about it, but it comes well-recommended.



Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment