Share On Facebook ! Tweet This ! Share On Google Plus ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger !

Weekend Reading



In this edition of Weekend Reading, a chronicle of capers (not the brined variety), a little bit of lust, and "lots [more]...interesting A Burglar's Guide to the Citybooks on [the] TBR pile."

Jon Foro: A Burglar's Guide to the City is a 2,000-year history of break-ins, capers, and break-outs. Manaugh draws on the real-world experience and acumen of criminals and security experts alike--as well as his own esoteric architectural sensibility, as seen here--analyzing structures from the perspectives of would-be breakers-and-enterers and those who would keep them out. This is a weird and fascinating book.

Sara Nelson: I'm hoping to hang out with Three Martini Lunch, a forthcoming novel from, Suzanne Rindell, the author of The Other Typist. It's about my favorite subject--the book publishing world--set in the late 1950s, when hipsters were hipsters and Brooklyn was still an outer borough.  So far, in this book, things move "likety split" and people look "sharp." I love this stuff!  

And then there's Girls on Fire, one of the big novels of the spring with "Girls" in the title. This one has blurbs from one of my fave "girl" writers Megan Abbot, author of The Fever and Dare Me.   

Erin Kodicek: I have been tending to a sick cat lately so I could use some Lust & Wonder in my life, Augusten Burroughs's latest autobiographical offering. This time he turns his snarky pen on the subject of love, and his frustration at not being able to recognize when it's really true. For readers who have developed Burroughs fatigue, this one is supposed to bring you back into the fold.

Adrian Liang: Lots of interesting books on my TBR pile this weekend! I'm looking at R. S. Belcher's Brotherhood of the Wheel, a horror novel about bad people (and things) who prey upon unwary highway travelers, and the big-rig drivers and MC bikers who are trying to bring the monsters to justice. Like "black ops for Triple A," a character sarcastically remarks about the Brotherhood. Plus I'm three chapters into Lisa Damour's Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood. My daughter is only ten, but I want to be prepared. Damour's advice is wise without being old-fashioned, and she's empathetic to both parents and girls going through the tumultuous teenage years. So far she seems completely spot-on.

Chris Scluep: I'm reading two novels in the crime/thriller/suspense vein this weekend. I'll be finishing Michael Connelly's The Black Echo, which I started earlier this week. I've read it before, but it was Connelly's first novel, as well as his first Bosch book--and with the show "Bosch" starting again soon on Amazon Prime I thought I'd go back and see why I loved this character so much in the first place. The other one I'll be reading is Dodgers, a new crime novel which will be published in April. Like the Bosch books, Dodgers is set in LA, at least at first. The book follows a kid, a young LA gang member, who is sent to Wisconsin to perform--I think--a hit. Having never left his neighborhood, this is the classic gangster-out-of-water story. I've heard great things about it.



Read More

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.