Share On Facebook ! Tweet This ! Share On Google Plus ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger !

Weekend Reading



Super Bowl Sunday is upon us! But before the boisterous beer-fest commences, we plan on indulging in some quality quiet time with The Lonely City these, weekend reads.  

Erin Kodicek: I'll be reading The Lonely City: Adventures in the Art of Being Alone, a book a  colleague plucked off the shelf, gave to me and exclaimed, "Here! You'll probably like this!" Not sure how to take that. I'm going to hunker down with it, and my cat, and contemplate.

Adrian Liang: I'm partway into Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond, and I'm impressed by the clear-eyed and nonjudgmental writing about the renters and landlords Desmond follows in the poorest neighborhoods of Milwaukee, exploring the reasons why eviction is a way of life for some and why it hurts neighborhoods.

Jon Foro: Trouble Boys: The True Story of the Replacements by Bob Mehr: Do you remember rock & roll music? Neither do I, but in the days before beardy troubadours pinned their hearts to vintage sweater sleeves to weep authentically over mandolins, a band out of Minneapolis called The Replacements was loud and brilliant and incorrigible, enough to be both legendary and never as successful as they should have been--in other words, the ideal of a rock band. Bob Mehr's upcoming biography, Trouble Boys promises a similar spirit; though it was written with the participation of surviving members and their associates, it might not earn their endorsement. Can't hardly wait.

Seira Wilson: Last weekend I started The Nest and am looking forward to finishing it. Ditto for Sean Beaudoin's Welcome Thieves--first story was good so I'm going to read a couple more. I finished Wink, Poppy, Midnight--read it in big chunks, lots of twists and questionable behavior and I loved it. This weekend I'm going to take home another YA, Kill the Boy Band, and dive into All Things Cease to Appear about two families connected by an unsolved murder. I'm also planning to make something from the Theo Chocolate cookbook to take for a Superbowl party--that might be the best reading I do this weekend...

Chris Schluep: The book I'm really looking forward to reading is High Dive by Jonathan Lee. This one employs fact and fiction--the plot revolves around an event in 1984 when a bomb was planted at the Grand Hotel in the seaside town of Brighton, England, set to explode in twenty-four days when the British prime minister and her entire cabinet would be staying there. The book has great blurbs, great early customer reviews, and critical acclaim from the UK where it already has been published.



Read More

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.