Friday, January 29, 2016

Weekend Reading



Beware the Ides of March! Only there is nothing foreboding about the crop of titles being released in a month or so, many of The Summer Before the Warwhich are featured in this edition of Weekend Reading. There's the latest from the likes of Helen Simonson, Helen Oyeyemi, and National Book Award winner, Timothy Egan, a debut that's generating a lot of in-house buzz, and an old standby from one the world's most beloved chefs. Feast on these, and more.

Sara Nelson: The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson. I was a huge fan of Simonson's debut, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand,and can't wait to check out the new one: a comedy of manners set on the eve of WWI.

The Man Who Gave Away His Organs by Richard Michael Levine. From tiny Capra Press, these are stories by a journalist about love and obsession in middle age. 

Jon Foro: Tim Egan has written some of my favorite books: Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher, The Big Burn, The Good Rain. And I haven't even gotten around to his National Book Award-winning Dust Bowl epic, The Worst Hard Time. But since we're always scrambling to keep up with the new books, that one will have to wait a bit longer. Instead I'll be looking at his latest, The Immortal Irishman, the story of Thomas Francis Meagher's journey from Ireland's Great Famine to the Civil War and finally to the post of territorial governor of Montana, where he died under mysterious circumstances. "Haunting, conclusive new evidence" is promised!

Seira Wilson: Wink Poppy Midnight: this YA novel is said to appeal to fans of We Were Liars, which means me. Two girls and a boy, a mystery, some possible supernatural element--or not? Sounds twisty and unexpected and a potential day killer if I can't stop reading...

Welcome Thieves: Stories: I'm pretty tough on the old short story, mostly because on the whole I tend not to like them much. This month American Housewife pulled it off and I'm jumping back in, mostly because I liked the authors YA book from a couple years ago.

The Nest: The other editors who've started this are loving it and it sounds right up my alley--dysfunctional family saga with interesting characters. Plus, since it's on my Kindle, it'll be my 3am book for when I wake up and can't fall back asleep.

Adrian Liang: I've been hearing good things for months about Don't Let My Baby Do Rodeo by Boris Fishman, and as a rodeo fan, I'm looking forward to diving into this novel about family, nature, nurture, and (maybe) destiny. I also have plans to start The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen by Jacques P├ępin, which is what we're reading for my food-and-travel book club.

Erin Kodicek: I'm going to finish A Place Called Winter by Patrick Gale. This novel, loosely based on a true story, is about a well-to-do husband and father in turn-of-the-century Edwardian England whose gay affair completely upends his life. So far I'm a little dubious of the protagonist's subdued reactions to catastrophe (seriously, the family's fortune was made in the horse-drawn omnibus business, and I think if one ran over this guy it would barely register a wince), but it's a page-turner just the same. I also can't wait to check out Helen Oyeyemi's new one, What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours. If it's anything like her much lauded Boy, Snow, Bird, then this collection of interconnected stories should impress.

Chris Schluep: I've got Lust & Wonder by Augusten Burroughs and From Silk to Silicon, which is about globalization, but for me it's really all about The Nest, which I think could be a big, big deal when it publishes on March 22nd.



Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment