Share On Facebook ! Tweet This ! Share On Google Plus ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger !

YA Wednesday: The Best Books of October



The giant stacks of books that are covering most of the flat surfaces in my house (I have a chair that I might as well just start calling a bookshelf) rose to towering heights for the months of September and October, with so many good books coming out.  So once again, the list for the Best Teen & YA Books of the Month got expanded to six titles.  Here are the ones we picked--do you have an October book you are looking forward to?

Allegiant160PictureMeGone160 WildCards160 Eyeof Minds160 REalityBoy160Unbreakable160Allegiant by Veronica Roth- OMG. It's as good as you think it will be and I can't wait until it releases (October 22) so I have someone to talk to about it.  I'm dying over here...

Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff - Written as a mystery, Picture Me Gone is the story of Mila and her father trying to find his best friend, Matthew, who has suddenly disappeared without a trace. While Mila is using her considerable powers of perception to try to unravel Matthew's disappearance, what she ends up discovering is how complex adult relationships can be and even her parents are capable of deception. It's a defining moment done really well.

Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles - A good hot cover, but I was afraid this would be a cheesy high school romance.  Instead, I was totally sucked in and invested in the main characters, Derek and Ashtyn. The two are thrown together when circumstance puts them in the same house and the attraction between them is immediate though they try to ignore it.  Told in alternating points of view, a story that could be clichéd (a lousy boyfriend, a star football player, a bad boy who is really good) was an addictive read with believable self-discovery and romance.

The Eye of Minds by James Dashner - I'm not a gamer but I totally got the world that Dashner created.  The uber high-tech Matrix-like quality of this story was as engrossing as the virtual reality (the VirtNet) that can literally kill the players.  There's a lot of heart-pounding action and surprises to keep the pages turning and I loved that you don't have to know gaming to enjoy the read. The new Mortality Doctrine series is off to a good start!

Reality Boy by A.S. King - I'm a big A.S. King fan (if you haven't read it, Please Ignore Vera Dietz is amazing) and in this book she shows us the dark side of our obsession with reality television.  Gerald, a child star (for dubious reasons) in his family's reality show can't seem to escape it years later. Gerald's life is a mess--he's full of anger and self-loathing, and dreams most of getting away from the family that has been a constant source of torment for him.  I felt like King really gets how potentially harmful editing and publicizing people's lives can be and I definitely see those shows, and the people who are in them, in a new light.

Unbreakable by Kami Garcia - I really liked this first book of a new series from the co-author of  Beautiful Creatures.  It's creepy paranormal--demons, dark spirits and curses--but with an added romantic twist, just to keep things extra interesting.  Garcia's settings are also of the haunted variety and I've gotta tell you, I finished this book late at night and then had to stay up and watch bad television for a while because I was kind of spooked!  But in a good way, of course...



Read More

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.